Recently, NSFOCUS CERT monitored that QNAP officially released the QVPN code execution vulnerability and QANP denial-of-service vulnerability. Affected users should take protective measures as soon as possible.
VPN Code Execution Vulnerability (CVS 2022-27595): There is a code execution vulnerability in the Windows version of the QVPN client, which can be exploited by authenticated local attackers through insecure library loading, ultimately enabling the execution of arbitrary code.
QNAP Denial-of-Service Vulnerability (CVS 2022-27600): There is a denial-of-service vulnerability in multiple operating systems of QANP, which can be exploited by attackers to cause uncontrolled resource consumption, ultimately leading to remote attackers launching a denial-of-service attack.
Scope of Impact
- QVPN (Windows)<18.104.22.1686
- QANP QTS<22.214.171.1247 build 20230112
- QANP QTS<126.96.36.1990 build 20230112
- QANP QuTS<hero h188.8.131.527 build 20230112
- QANP QuTS<hero h184.108.40.2064 build 20230417
- QANP QuTScloud<c220.127.116.114 build 20230419
- QANP QVR Pro Appliance<2.3.1.0476
- QVPN (Windows)>=18.104.22.1686
- QANP QTS>=22.214.171.1247 build 20230112
- QANP QTS>=126.96.36.1990 build 20230112
- QANP QuTS>=hero h188.8.131.527 build 20230112
- QANP QuTS>=hero h184.108.40.2064 build 20230417
- QANP QuTScloud>=c220.127.116.114 build 20230419
- QANP QVR Pro Appliance>=2.3.1.0476
1. Currently, the official security version has been released to fix this vulnerability. It is recommended that affected users upgrade their protection in a timely manner.
2. The steps for updating QTS or QuTS hero are as follows:
- Log in as an administrator to QTS or QuTS hero
- Go to: Control Panel>System>Firmware Update
- Under Real Time Updates, click Check for Updates. Download and install the latest available version from QTS or QuTS hero.
3. Update QVP (QVR Professional Equipment)
- Log in to QVP as administrator
- Go to: Control Panel>System Settings>Firmware Update
- Select the Firmware Update tab
- Click on ‘Browse…’ to access the latest firmware file from the https://www.qnap.com/en/download Download the latest firmware files for specific devices.
- Click to update the system
This advisory is only used to describe a potential risk. NSFOCUS does not provide any commitment or promise on this advisory. NSFOCUS and the author will not bear any liability for any direct and/or indirect consequences and losses caused by transmitting and/or using this advisory. NSFOCUS reserves all the rights to modify and interpret this advisory. Please include this statement paragraph when reproducing or transferring this advisory. Do not modify this advisory, add/delete any information to/from it, or use this advisory for commercial purposes without permission from NSFOCUS.
NSFOCUS, Inc., a global network and cyber security leader, protects enterprises and carriers from advanced cyber attacks. The company’s Intelligent Hybrid Security strategy utilizes both cloud and on-premises security platforms, built on a foundation of real-time global threat intelligence, to provide multi-layered, unified and dynamic protection against advanced cyber attacks.
NSFOCUS works with Fortune Global 500 companies, including four of the world’s five largest financial institutions, organizations in insurance, retail, healthcare, critical infrastructure industries as well as government agencies. NSFOCUS has technology and channel partners in more than 60 countries, is a member of both the Microsoft Active Protections Program (MAPP), and the Cloud Security Alliance (CSA).
A wholly owned subsidiary of NSFOCUS Technologies Group Co., Ltd., the company has operations in the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and Asia Pacific.