Santa Clara, Calif. September 6, 2022 – NSFOCUS, a global network and cyber security leader, today released NSFOCUS Global DDoS Landscape Report for the first half of 2022. Compared to the first half of 2021, DDoS attacks has a sharp increase of 205% year over year. Terabit attacks are not rare anymore. From April this year, the attack peak size exceeded 1 Tbps for three consecutive months. According to the report, more than 40 DDoS attacks larger than 100 Gpbs happened per day.
Among the takeaways:
- DDoS attacks reached a new 4-year high of 205% compared with the same period last year.
- Tb-level attacks were spotted for three consecutive months since April in 2022. With adequate attack resources, launching Tb-level DDoS attacks will not be a difficult thing for attackers.
- Southeast Asia was the most DDoSed region.
- UDP flood was the most popular vector used in the DDoS attack. However, DDoS attackers are shifting to flood the target with traffic that is hard to be distinguished from user-intended traffic.
- Mirai was the most dangerous botnet with the largest number of bots and accounted for more than 60% of DDoS attacks.
- 51% of bots were from infected office-related software and applications.
- 87% DDoS attacks remain under one hour.
Digital transformation, rapidly-evolving technologies, the impacts of pandemics, and political turbulence – all of them intensify the security challenges. Facing the tough situation, every organization and individual should take the responsibility to make the digital world secure.
To learn more about the Global DDoS Landscape Report, please download the full report at nsfocusglobal.com/company-overview/resources/h1-2022-global-ddos-attack-landscape/
NSFOCUS, Inc., a global network and cyber security leader, protects enterprises and telecom carriers from advanced cyberattacks. The company’s Intelligent Hybrid Security strategy utilizes both cloud and on-premises security solutions, built on a foundation of real-time global threat intelligence, to provide multi-layered, unified and dynamic protection from DDoS mitigation solution, Web security and advanced cyber threats.
NSFOCUS works with Fortune Global 500 companies, including 4 of the world’s 5 largest financial institutions, 6 of the 10 largest telecommunications, organizations in insurance, retail, healthcare, critical infrastructure industries as well as government agencies.
NSFOCUS has technology and channel partners in more than 60 countries, has operations in the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, and Asia Pacific, and is a member of both the Microsoft Active Protections Program (MAPP), and the Cloud Security Alliance (CSA).
A research arm, the NSFOCUS Security Labs, is a renowned technical research center that tracks and analyzes global intelligence while identifying new network vulnerabilities and security trends. More detailed information is available at https://nsfocusglobal.com/.